Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Life In The Slow Lane

Last night, I set out to enjoy a nice, relaxing long swim.  I had downloaded some great music to keep me in the appropriate zone.  After a hard run session earlier, I was really looking forward to an easy swim.  My warm-up went well and just as I was settling into a nice rhythm, I was surrounded by testosterone.

Yes, I mean MEN.  The lap lanes were fairly crowded (which is why I typically go in the early afternoon), and there were men splashing around on each side of me.  I offered one guy waiting his turn to "swim in" with me.  He looked fairly athletic so I guessed that he might understand the concept.  He did not.  He swam in one half of the lane, while I cramped myself in the other half.  I was about to stop and ask suggest we "circle swim", but decided to just tough it out.

I have learned over the years as a female triathlete, that men cannot seem to stand it if you can swim faster than them in the pool (or bike faster, or run faster..!).  I can be minding my own business in a nice, steady, (slow), rhythm when testosterone takes over.  This happened last night.  Nearly every 100yards, I would have one of the guys start at the same time as me and sprint his way to the other side of the pool.  He was obviously wanting to "beat" me, only I was not racing.

The first few times I let them go zipping past me, refusing to get out of my zone.  About the fourth or fifth time, I couldn't resist.  I am almost always up for a challenge!  :)

Needless to say, this began a war of who could swim faster than whom.  My comfortable workout turned into an all out race to see how many times I could beat these guys as they raced their ONE length down the pool.  I enjoyed the push for a few times, but quickly realized they were taking turns "racing" me.
I was getting tired.  Tired AND annoyed.  I gave it a few more hundred yards of pushing, and then realized it was almost time to get out.  I had pushed almost my entire 50-minute session.  My HR was higher than I had wanted it and I had defeated my whole purpose of having a nice "relaxing" long swim.

Later on, I pondered what had happened.  I can laugh at myself as an athlete and coach.  I know better than to fall into the trap of letting someone else challenge or push you, especially when you are wanting a relaxing workout.  I tell my athletes not to let this happen to them, yet do their OWN thing and ignore the other person.  They may be doing their 25 yard sprints (like last night), while you are doing your long, aerobic swim. Therefore, you can't compare "apples to apples".

This applies to our daily lives as well.  How many times are we smooth sailing on cruise control, when someone comes in and "challenges" us?  How many times do we fall for the "challenge" as a detriment to ourselves or perhaps our families?

Perhaps you were cruising along on a modest budget and saving money, when your neighbor comes zipping by with his fancy car.  On top of that, he or she also dresses in the latest fashion.  He has a brand new house twice the size of yours.

Will you abandon your plans to "chase" and "catch" him?  Will you sacrifice what you know is best for you,  just to try and "play the game" with someone else?

REMEMBER...we are all in different "lanes".  One person's goal may not be another person's goal.  Take the time to reach yours.   Slowly and steadily moving towards YOUR goals and dreams, at YOUR pace.  When you try to compete with others in another lane, you are likely to drift off your own personal course, at a detriment to yourself.  Sometimes this ruins your initial plan, and can cause strife or heartache.

Stay focused on what you know and believe to be true and just.  Let those in the fast lane move right ahead.  Chances are, they will run out of steam, crash and burn, and you will find yourself in the lead because you stuck with your game plan!

Don't get me wrong, my athletes, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with a little friendly competition.  It is encouraged and good for you at times.  But when it comes down to tough training, or the "game of life",  choose carefully with whom and when you choose to compete.

There is a master plan for your life, and it's already been laid out for you by a power much greater than man.  Take your time to find the right course for YOU, and enjoy each "stroke" along the way.  Don't be affected by those around you.  Stay focused and enjoy "life in the slow" lane.  It's really not half bad!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment