Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Cantaloupe Anyone?

I had the most random dream last night.  I was eating a cantaloupe, but chewing right through the rind!  The rind was tough and thick.  It tasted absolutely terrible, but I kept chewing and chewing.  I finally got a taste of the sweet fruit inside.  It was delicious and refreshing.  In my dream, the taste was so vivid.  Problem was, I kept having to gnaw through more and more rind, just to get ONE little taste of the fresh cantaloupe inside.

I am actually laughing quite hysterically remembering this dream.  Leave it to me to dream about food!  I LOVE to eat, so it doesn't surprise me that I had a dream about food.  It may have also been a food "guilt trip" dream because I have a cantaloupe sitting in my refrigerator right now that NEEDS to be eaten.  It's been sitting there for nearly a week now.  So in reality, it was probably haunting me in my dreams!  :)

However, the more I pondered this dream, I realized how closely it relates to some situations in our lives.

Sometimes we are going through a "rind" stage.  We feel like we are just chewing and chewing without getting anywhere at all.  It is no fun at all!  We get tired, and the "taste" is not pleasant.  Human nature wants to give up.  Walk away and be done with it.

But hey!  What about being persistent?  The taste of success or victory is so sweet.  It will have you coming back for more and more.  You will eventually crave its flavor and satisfaction.  You will want to go back for more.

Whatever life is throwing you today, look PAST the rind and into the "heart of the matter".  You may not like the "taste" of what you are going through to get there.  You may get weary and want to quit.

Think twice, my friend.  There's something better under all of the toughness.  There is something sweet and satisfying waiting for you on the other side.  Persistence pays off.

Go out and find the inside of your "cantaloupe" today.  Now excuse me while I go rescue mine...from the refrigerator!  I don't want to start dreaming that I am giving birth to one or something.  Analyzing THAT, might pose a challenge.

Happy day, my friends!

1 comment: